https://newsletter.po.creamermedia.com
Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / All News RSS ← Back
plates|Safety|transport
plates|Safety|transport
plates|safety|transport
Close

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Sponsored by

Close

Article Enquiry

Cape Town taxi showdown: Western Cape govt, City to review enforcement of licence conditions


Close

Embed Video

2

Cape Town taxi showdown: Western Cape govt, City to review enforcement of licence conditions

Mini bus taxi
Photo by Creamer Media

31st August 2023

By: News24Wire

SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

Font size: -+

The South African National Taxi Council (Santaco), the Western Cape government, and the City of Cape Town have thrashed out their issues during a three-day taxi task team "imbizo" held this week. 

The imbizo started on Monday and concluded on Wednesday. 

Advertisement

In a joint statement, the provincial government, Santaco and the City said the imbizo had culminated in a signed agreement that safeguarded commuter safety and outlined a clear process for continued cooperation.

"All parties sat for three days to systematically work through the enforcement consequences for each operating licence condition that we committed to collectively review," the statement reads.

Advertisement

"The National Department of Transport was also included in this process. Through extensive consultation and earnest deliberation, we have found common ground on what are fair and rational consequences for most of the operating licence condition transgressions."

They added that there was "mutual priority to address fundamental challenges in the transport sector and deliver functional, reliable, safe mobility for commuters".

"We have committed to completing this task within a four-week period, starting today (31 August 2023), and will redouble our efforts to find common ground on the outstanding points of disagreement."

Santaco staged an eight-day strike earlier this month in response to the City impounding dozens of vehicles over a range of infractions, including number plates not being displayed.

In a brief statement released on Wednesday evening, Santaco spokesperson Nceba Enge said: "The Minibus Taxi Task Team's (MBTTT) three-day 'imbizo' has culminated in an agreement to ensure stability for commuters.

"Over the three days, the MBTT found common ground related to operating licence conditions. All parties have committed to a four-week period to meaningfully complete this task."

On Monday, News24 reported that the City planned to sue Santaco for damage caused during the eight-day stayaway.

Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis said that all departments had been requested to provide an estimate of the damage.

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE

To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here

Comment Guidelines

About

Polity.org.za is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more

Subscriptions

We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store

Advertise

Advertising on Polity.org.za is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

View options

Email Registration Success

Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to one or more of Creamer Media’s email newsletters. You should start receiving the email newsletters in due course.

Our email newsletters may land in your junk or spam folder. To prevent this, kindly add newsletters@creamermedia.co.za to your address book or safe sender list. If you experience any issues with the receipt of our email newsletters, please email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za